Slovak Republic Code No 91/2001, part 39 of 20th March 2001
T h e D e c l a r a t i o n
Of the Slovak National Council
O n t h e C u l t u r a l H e r i t a g e P r o t e c t i o n
Realizing the irreplaceable cultural values created by the last generations regardless the time
and place of their rise,
Stating that these values are permanent endangered not only by the natural causes of wasting
away and decaying, but also by the life standard changes, by the transformation of social and
economic conditions, by the degeneration and extinction of traditional trades and technologies and
through the application of technologies which are often not incompatible with the essence and
character of these values,
Issuing from the requirements for the rescue, regeneration, adequate utilization and
presentation of values of last periods,
Applying the principles of having basis in international contracts, deals, and
recommendations of international organizations for the cultural heritage protection, especially
documents of UNESCO and European Council, 1)
Developing the rights and duties of everyone to protect the cultural heritage according to
Article 44 of Constitution of the Slovak Republic,
Appraising the public relationship to cultural and historical values,
Reminding the citizen of a duty to protect and enhance the cultural heritage of their
village, town, regions and state,
Considering that the importance of the cultural heritage is permanently increasing, is
further developing and enhancing thanks to the appropriate protection and so is growing to be an
authentic message for the following generations,
Realizing that also our decisions and deeds are the spring of new values and that today will
be tomorrow from the view of the future,
Accepted this Declaration on the Cultural Heritage Protection.
1. The cultural heritage of the Slovak Republic (further only “cultural heritage”) is the
irreplaceable richness of the state and its citizens; it is the evidence of the development of
society, philosophy, religion, science, technology, art; it is a document of the educational and
cultural level of the Slovak nation, other nations, national minorities, ethnic groups and
individuals who live or they lived in the past on the Slovak territory.
2. Single types and parts of cultural heritage are equal and they represent the irreplaceable
part of the cultural heritage of Europe and the whole mankind.
1. The cultural heritage is material and immaterial values, movable and immovable subjects
including imported works and ideas, which had found places and applications in Slovakia.
2. The immaterial value of cultural heritage is mainly the oral and literary performances
spread orally or by sound carriers, dramatic, musical and dancing works of art, customs and
traditions, historical facts, geographical, cadastral and local names.
3. The material value of cultural heritage is mainly the archive documents regardless the way
of information record, historical library documents and funds, works of literature, set designers,
cinematography, television and audiovisual performance, collections of museums and galleries,
graphic or plastic, commercial and folk works of art, design works, architectonic objects, urban
collections, archaeological discoveries and localities, folk construction objects, monument of
production, science and technology, historical gardens, parks and cultural country.
1. Cultural heritage protection is of public interest and it is performed on the basis of
respecting of individual rights and liberties of citizens.
2. Principles and means of the cultural heritage protection should not disturb other rights
of citizens without the appurtenant compensation according to relevant laws.
3. Single types of cultural heritage are the subjects of the preservation according to
peculiar provisions. 2)
4. The state, territorial self-government, relevant legal persons, relevant natural persons
and especially the owners of property, which is the subject of the protection, create conditions
for the cultural heritage protection. State and municipalities support the activities of citizens,
citizen associations, foundations and non-governmental organizations by the cultural heritage
5. Up to the one year after the adoption of this declaration the Government of the Slovak
Republic (further only “Government”) will place before the National Council of the Slovak Republic
(further only “National Council”) the proposal on legislative, staff and realization measures for
the identification, evidence, rescue, utilization and presentation of cultural heritage. The
Government will regularly, minimum once in the election period, place before the National Council
the complex report on the state of cultural heritage and will set the effective system for the
removal of identified failures in its activity. The government will devote the increased attention
to the rescue of localities registered in the Inventory of the world heritage, so as to the rescue
of archive documents registered into the Inventory of the world memory.
1. It is possible to protect, administer and use the cultural heritage only in harmony with its
physical state, historical and cultural qualities including the values of surrounding environment
so that one will precede its physical alteration, damage, theft or destroying in the maximum
2. The appurtenant acts 2) for the protection of single types and parts of cultural heritage
arrange conditions and the way of rescue, utilization and presentation of cultural heritage,
activity and responsibility of the relevant organs.
1. It is possible to export the subject defined as the cultural heritage only in harmony with
the conditions, which determine relevant acts. 2)
2. It is possible to import into the Slovak territory the subject, which shows the marks of
cultural heritage, only after the preceding consensus of relevant organs of the state, from which
it shall be imported.
1. The Government will create conditions for the educational and non-educational upbringing and
for the reinforcing of relationship to the cultural heritage, mainly of the young generation.
2. The relevant central organs will provide the professional preparation of employees, who
share the rescue, renewal, utilization and presentation of cultural heritage, in the educational
3. The National Council calls on non-governmental organizations, cultural institutions and
media, mainly broadcasting corporations, editorial offices of periodical and non-periodical press,
to the increased propagation and presentation of cultural heritage.
In: Slovak Republic Code No 91/2001, section 39 of 20th March 2001